Sunday, December 27, 2009

Busy Season and Roman Jewelry

Wow! I've been so busy! Now that the Christmas season is over, I don't know what to do with myself! It has been a profitable few months. Sales have been really good all around. I was one of the top five selling atisans at the Jewelry Cafe, and my etsy stores experienced a burst of activity as well!


Yesterday, I spent several hours at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC. We spent a large amount of time in the new, and ENORMOUS Roman and Greek wing. I was amazed at the jewelry! It was really quite amazing. There were pristine, intact, beautiful wire wrapped necklaces. I unfortunately, did not bring my camera. My friend did, and I coaxed him into lending it to me to try to capture a few of the designs. Due to the fact that we couldn't use a flash, and the camera was trying to focus throught the glass, the pictures didn't come out very well.


There was one display, it was new, and there were NO dates or descritions attached, but in it were several necklaces made of of gold wire, wire wrapped links of beads, with, of course, hand made hook and eye closures. Truly inspiring. These pieces must have been 2,000 years old!!! And very much like the work that I do! Different styles, of course, but I am tempted to try to make some recreations.

2 comments:

Jewelry St Louis said...

Beautifully wire wrapped jewelry. Truly inspiring. Beaded are used nicely.

Kat9kin said...

Amazing, isn't it? Those necklaces are a couple thousand years old!