Thursday, June 5, 2008

Etsy Store

About a month ago, I decided to look into ways of selling my work at more places. I'd heard about an online place called Etsy.com, and decided to check it out. Wow, what an awesome thing Etsy is. I joined up right away.

About Etsy: Etsy is an online vending site exclusively for hand-made goods. You can find ANYTHING handmade here. Pottery, paintings, clothes, sculpture, refridgerator magnets, sketches scrawlled on newspaper, all-natural-vegan soaps, AND jewelry. There are some other things that can be bought and sold on Etsy as well: supplies for making handmade goods. You'll find yarn, thread, buttons, beads, findings, and I'm sure loads of other things that I haven't surfed upon yet. And vintage goods. You can't get around not selling vintage stuff.

The coolest part about Etsy is the COMMUNITY that it fosters. There are groups and teams to join, tutorials, articles, interviews with sellers, featured artists, events, and tons of networking possibilities. Pretty much everyone that is a member is there because they love hand-made goods.

It's very exciting.

I'm working slowly on building up my Etsy store. There is the picture taking process - very difficult to make images look good without the proper lighting. And the uploading process - very slow and next to impossible with dial-up internet. So I do most of it at my boyfriend's house using his high-speed wi-fi lap top from a borrowed flash drive. High tech.

I have yet to make a sale through Etsy. That's a tough part. Because I am a new member, I don't have a substantial "rating" - this comes through feedback from buyers and sellers and can be positive or negative. So, no one knows how awesome I am.....yet.

References for people who want to know if I'm any good:
Manifest Beads 203-877-7778
The Jewelry Cafe 203-263-8599
newspaper article: http://www.newtownbee.com/Features/2007-12-06__12-10-17/Jewelry+Cooperative+Works+For+Jewelers+And+Customers

No comments: