Wednesday, August 6, 2008

horrible pain, but good news

The good news is that there is nothing seriously wrong with my wrist. I saw one of the best doctors in the region as far as hands and wrist and arms go. Diagnosis? Oh...probably tendonitus. SO I ask him what I can do about it. He tells me that there is nothing I can do on my own. The only thing that will help is an injection of cortizone.

He tells me that from the injection I will feel some pain and discomfort for a few days. That's fine! Thats what I've been experiencing for months now! Well, different type of pain. It's called horrible excruciating pain. Yesterday afternoon I couldn't move my fingers. It's been a day and a few hours and I can now turn the keys in the ignition and shift into drive - slowly and carefully - without wanting to scream. Had to drive entirely left handed yesterday, it was very interesting. I can bend/rotate my wrist a few degrees more as the time ticks by, but only in a few directions. There's no way I'll be using any pliers any time soon. So no jewelry making.

After five days or so, the cortizone should kick into gear, making my wrist feel better instead of worse. For many people, this stuff makes you feel like you have a brand new wrist (or other joint). If there's no improvement in three weeks, then I'm supposed to go back. Hopefully that won't happen.

This cortizone stuff better work...because right now it REALLY SUCKS.

Oh yeah, and I'm going to be able to pay for this...not an arm and leg at all...spread out over as much time as I need. Thank god for having a sister in law with connections to doctors.

No comments: